Saturday, February 2, 2013

Self Promoting Bites the Big One

So here I am today, having an IM conversation with my good friend, who is also a newly published writer, about self promoting. We both loathe it.

Personally, I see about a 10% chance of becoming a successful author. By successful I mean having people around the globe interested in reading my stories and being able to support my family with my work. And 10% is gracious.

I started writing because I was encouraged to by some friends who believed I had talent. I got lucky and managed to get two different publishers to accept my short stories in the last year. But other submissions to alternate houses have been denied. I've been told my stuff just isn't what their readers want. The stories don't have enough character development and the plots are just too simple. And honestly, I have trouble disagreeing with them.

But yet I keep writing and something keeps driving me along to submit work.

The self promoting still sucks. Blogs, websites, twitter. Facebook is the only thing I feel connected to but really of the two hundred some friends I have on my page, how much can I really promote?


No comments:

Post a Comment